This slow cooker version of chicken piccata uses chicken thighs, lemons and capers to create the juiciest, zestiest and incredibly flavorful take on one of our family’s most favorite meals. It’s super simple and only involves 5 ingredients.
Chicken Piccata is probably one of the my family’s most requested meals. And not to toot my own horn here, but I definitely make a great one (toot! toot!)
The only drawback with the more traditional chicken piccata recipe is that you have to bread the chicken and when it comes to weeknight meals, who has time for all of that?
Do I have to use chicken thighs for this crockpot chicken piccata recipe?
You do not need to use chicken thighs for this hassle-free version of chicken piccata. Most versions of chicken piccata use chicken breasts, pounded flat. While free to go that route, I am using chicken thighs in this recipe as they themselves offer a rich buttery taste and a creaminess that you would find in a traditional chicken piccata dish. Instead of chicken thighs, you could opt for chicken breasts (butterflied and pounded thin) or chicken tenderloins would work well.
Where can I find the best chicken thighs?
I get my chicken thighs from Butcher Box. It’s my favorite chicken thighs by far. You can tell their chicken is amazing quality. Also, love that it comes delivered right to my doorstep. One less trip to the grocery store always helps! It comes frozen and individually packaged with 3-4 chicken thighs in each. It’s super easy to thaw and prepare when it comes to meal prep. ButcherBox chicken thighs come with the skin on which we are huge fans of although you can absolutely opt for boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe.
Ingredients for crockpot chicken piccata
To make this easy and delicious crockpot chicken piccata recipe you’ll need a few ingredients that you can get at almost any grocery store or even online!
Here’s what we are working with:
- chicken thighs – we prefer bone-in for that extra punch of flavor, but you can also choose to debone prior to cooking.
- capers – You will want to use a 4 ounce jar of these and include the juice. The juice provides an additional briny tang to the dish.
- Italian dressing packet seasoning
- white cooking wine – you can also choose to sub the white wine for chicken broth. Either works wonderfully.
- lemons – I recommend using fresh lemons for this dish; the zest of the lemon juice combined with the briny tang of the capers is the perfect melody of flavors.
That’s it! 5 ingredients. We love the zest and freshness lemons give so we tend to add more when cooking.
Is slow cooker chicken piccata low carb?
This slow cooker chicken piccata is a low carb dish. Because it is made in the crockpot, there is no breadcrumbs involved with this recipe. I served this dish with egg noodles to really emulsify and soak up the juice from the crockpot. For a more low carb option, I would highly recommend serving with loaded mashed cauliflower, zoodles, green beans or riced cauliflower would work well.
Can I meal prep slow cooker chicken piccata?
This version of chicken piccata makes an easy and super delicious meal prep. I would recommend serving it with a side of green beans or your favorite vegetable. This dish keeps well and makes great leftovers because it has time to soak up all the juice. This slow cooker chicken piccata meal prep gets better and better each day!
For the full recipe of this crockpot chicken piccata meal prep, check-out mealpreponfleek.com
We hope you enjoy this simple slow cooker chicken piccata recipe as much as our little tribe has!
Slow Cooker Chicken Piccata
- LCLow Carb
- SFSugar Free
- 1 pound 1 lb chicken thighs (4-6 thighs)
- 1 packet Italian dressing seasoning
- 1 jar Non-Pareil Capers, 14 ounces , including juice
- ½ cup white wine or chicken broth
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle over the Italian dressing seasoning mix, capers and juice, white wine (or chicken broth), and lemon juice.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to tag thetastefultribe on instagram @thetastefultribe if you try this simple slow cooker chicken piccata recipe. We love seeing your version of the recipe! You can also post your pictures to our facebook page!