This easy Philly cheesesteak skillet lasagna recipe deliciously comes together in one pan. In our house we call this recipe “THE PHILLY SPECIAL” because it is quick and easy and a family favorite that you MUST try!
Fun fact: My husband and I both grew up right outside of Philly, met each other in North Carolina, and now currently reside just 40 minutes outside of Philadelphia. We are die hard Philly fans. Philly vs everyone, right?! Jk. But when it comes to Philly sports, we definitely do not mess around and we feel the same when it comes to the food.
This Philly cheesesteak lasagna recipe has earned the “Philly Special” title in our house because it’s a quick and easy meal that is at the very top of our playbook. It’s a dinner winner and perfect for game day or a busy weeknight meal that your whole family will love.
provolone, american, or cheese whiz?
When making an at home cheesesteak, do you struggle with the ‘what is the best cheese to use’ scenario!? I sure do. If I’m being completely honest, I enjoy my cheesesteak hoagies with American cheese, but I’ll take a cheesesteak any which way–unless you’re trying to put marinara sauce on it. That, I just can’t do, sorry!
The best part of this recipe is that you don’t have to go through the daunting cheese making decision; we’ve got it all in this one pan dish! For this recipe we will be topping the ground beef, green peppers, and onion mixture with slices of provolone. Then we will be placing dollops of white queso dip on top of the lasagna noodles. Queso dip is the perfect choice because it is already melted American cheese, so it’s a perfect combination of American cheese and cheese whiz. It’s a cheese lover’s dream come true!
why use ground beef instead of steak in this recipe?
I know, I know – please! Let me explain why I use ground beef over the traditional shaved sirloin steak in this Philly cheesesteak recipe. Firstly, ground beef is generally less expensive than sirloin steak, making it a more budget-friendly option. So you’re getting a better bang for your buck without compromising on flavor.
Additionally, ground beef is typically quicker and easier to cook than sirloin steak. It requires minimal preparation and can be easily broken up and cooked to your desired level of doneness. This makes ground beef a more convenient choice for a one skillet lasagna recipe where you want the cooking process to be efficient.
All this being said, I fully support you if you want to stick with the more traditional route and use shaved sirloin steak. This recipe would also work well with ground turkey, chicken, or even tofu for a meatless option.
why you’ll love Philly cheesesteak skillet lasagna
- Comfort Food at its Best: Philly cheesesteak skillet lasagna is the perfect comfort food. It’s warm, satisfying, and just the thing to cozy up with on a chilly evening. It’s a dish that brings a delicious sense of comfort and happiness with every bite.
- Easy Combination: One of the main reasons to love this Philly cheesesteak lasagna it its delicious combination of flavors. The savory ground beef, melted cheese, sautéed onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers all come together to create a mouthwatering dish that is hard to resist.
- Creative Twist on a Classic: This recipe takes a classic Philly cheesesteak sandwich and transforms it into a lasagna. The layers of pasta, ground beef, cheese, and vegetables give it a unique twist that elevates the dish to a whole new level. It’s a creative and fun take on a beloved classic.
- Easy to Make: Despite its gourmet taste, Philly cheesesteak skillet lasagna is surprisingly easy to make. It can be whipped up in just one skillet, making it a convenient choice for a weeknight dinner or a relaxed weekend meal. It’s a great family meal to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
- Versatile and Customizable: One of the great things about Philly cheesesteak lasagna is its versatility. You can easily customize it to suit your taste by adding your favorite ingredients or tweaking the recipe to include a different type of meat or cheese. It’s a dish that offers endless possibilities for experimentation and personalization.
To make this easy, delicious, and comforting one-skillet lasagna recipe you’ll need a few ingredients that you can get at almost any grocery store or even online!
Here’s what we are working with:
- olive oil
- lean ground beef – we love ButcherBox for our ground beef
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- green bell pepper
- provolone cheese slices
- lasagna noodles
- beef broth
- queso dip – I like Tostitos Queso Blanco Dip , any queso works well. I haven’t tried this recipe with the orange queso dip but I think it would be a great substitute.
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- jalapeño peppers for garnish, optional
how to make one-pan Philly cheesesteak lasagna
In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the olive oil and ground beef. Season with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and worchestershire sauce. Cook and crumble until almost cooked.
Add in the sliced onion, peppers, and mushrooms, and continue to cook until the meat is no longer pink and the onion and peppers start to soften. Cover with provolone slices.
Add in the broken lasagna noodles with the beef broth. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
Drop spoonfuls of the queso dip on top and top with mozzarella cheese. Cover and continue cooking until cheese has melted.
Once the cheese has melted garnish with freshly chopped jalapeño if using and serve.
can you meal prep Philly cheesesteak lasagna?
Yes! It’s a quick and easy meal that comes together in one pan which means more time for you to enjoy you weekend without a whole lot of time spent meal prepping. Simply divide this recipe into 4 meal prep containers. The flavors in this recipe have time to meld together, allowing all that goodness to absorb even more as leftovers. You will be set for the week with this meal. It’s a fantastic option for a complete, quick, and satisfying meal prep.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. It’s definitely one of those recipes worth saving. There’s nothing better than having what looks and tastes like a gourmet meal on the table, but one that saves you time behind the scenes.
Please leave us a star review and comment if you make this family favorite recipe.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free leave them below. I answer every single question as quickly as I can.
Happy cooking! And thanks for being part of our tribe, The Tasteful Tribe!
Easy Philly Cheesesteak Skillet Lasagna (One Pan!)
- SFSugar Free
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, finely sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 4-5 provolone cheese slices
- 8-10 lasagna noodles, broken
- 1½ cups beef broth
- 1 (15 oz) jar queso dip, I use Tostitos Queso Blanco Dip , any queso works well.
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 jalapeño peppers, finely chopped for garnish, optional
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the olive oil and ground beef. Season with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and worchestershire sauce. Cook and crumble until almost cooked.
- Add in the sliced onion, peppers, and mushrooms, and continue to cook until the meat is no longer pink and the onion and peppers start to soften. Cover with provolone slices.
- Add in the broken lasagna noodles with the beef broth. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- Drop spoonfuls of the queso dip on top and top with mozzarella cheese. Cover and continue cooking until cheese has melted.
- Once the cheese has melted garnish with freshly chopped jalapeño if using and serve.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to tag thetastefultribe on instagram @thetastefultribe if you try this simple one skillet Philly cheesesteak lasagna recipe. We love seeing your version of the recipe! You can also post your pictures to our facebook page!