Underneath all of the cheesy bread goodness, you’ve got one of the best things on earth – a Philly cheesesteak! This recipe combines a classic French onion soup with a seriously mouthwatering cheesesteak sandwich. It’s a crockpot recipe so it’s ridiculously easy and does the work itself.
When I think about winter, one thing comes to mind: soup! Although it’s not truly winter yet, I have been relishing in allll the soup recipes and plan to do so for the next couple of months!
French onion soup is one of my favorites in the soup club. Cheese, bread, caramelized onions. How can you go wrong here? I love, love, LOVE French onion soup but if I’m being honest it intimidates me a little bit. In walks my crockpot…
“This doesn’t have to be so difficult” she whispers to me. And that’s how this recipe was born. With this crockpot recipe, you are literally throwing everything in a pot and walking away. BYYYE, see you!
We are adding in all of the elements of a Philly cheesesteak because I’m constantly craving one of those and let’s be real – this is where I have more confidence. Living right outside of Philly gives us access to the best cheesesteaks, basically anytime we are down to go! I feel like when it comes to Philly cheesesteaks, it is one of those things I couldn’t fathom ever getting tired of – even if I ate one every night for dinner!
So let me introduce you to your cravings answered and a true winter soup dream! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as our little tribe has time and time again.
Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Onion Soup
- SFSugar Free
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups sweet onions, thinly sliced, about 4 medium onions
- 1½ pounds rib eye steak, thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup mushrooms, canned mushrooms works
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestshire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 6 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 French baguette
- 1½ shredded provolone cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Finely chop the onions and add 4 tablespoons butter to a large skillet. Sautee the onions until caramelized and brown, about 8-10 minutes; add onions to the crockpot
- Using the same skillet as onions, lightly brown the thinly sliced ribeye strips and add to the crockpot.
- Add peppers, mushrooms, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Give a good stir.
- Pour the beef broth over and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours or high heat for 4 hours.
- Prepare cheesy bread: slice baguette bread and sprinkle over cheese on the bread slices. Top with a pinch of garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place under broiler for 3-5 minutes.
- Place the cheesy bread slices (1-2) over each of the soup dishes to serve. Sprinkle with parsley and additional cheese.