I love a good cobb salad. Satisfying, filling and full of so many different flavors and textures; cobb salads are the best! This grilled romaine cobb salad is easy, simple and comes together quickly for a weeknight meal or lunchtime delight.
There are two things I have been dreaming and thinking about lately: grilled romaine hearts and a good cobb salad. This recipe combines the best of the best into a perfect summer melody and makes for an amazing lunch or dinner recipe.
Why grill lettuce?
I initially had the same question when I first heard about grilling/charring romaine lettuce. BUT then I can honestly say that I haven’t had a bad experience grilling/roasting/charring ANY vegetable so why would this be any different? So we gave it a shot and now I’m never turning back.
There’s just something so satisfying about the extra crunch and smokiness that turns ordinary lettuce into a beautiful unicorn of all the lettuces when you grill it.
Why we love cobb salads
The cobb salad: in my opinion the top dog of all the salads! They are easy to assemble and always looks so beautiful when served with so many colors and textures. Cobb salads are great too because you can pre-make all the ingredients and have everything ready to go rather quickly. I love using a sectional serving tray to layout all the goods.
ingredients for grilled romaine Cobb salad
To make this easy, delicious, and wholesome Cobb salad recipe you’ll need a few ingredients that you can get at almost any grocery store or even online!
Here’s what we are working with:
- romaine hearts
- ranch dressing We feel you can never have enough Hidden Valley Ranch in a home, but you can absolutely make your own dressing for this. If you enjoy a little heat, I suggest trying a chipotle ranch dressing.
- avocado this should be sliced shortly before serving since avocado tends to discolor when it comes in contact with air.
- chicken Breast can be grilled with romaine hearts or pre-cooked and chilled (or use meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken to save time).
- bacon can be browned ahead. We are in love with ButcherBox Bacon– it truly is the best! After cooking, drain on paper towels and refrigerate until ready to use.
- eggs can be made several days in advance. Cook hard-boiled eggs and refrigerate until ready to use.
- cherry tomatoes add the perfect sweetness to any dish.
- red onion if you prefer it. I love the crunch and flavor they give any salad. Please get yourself a chop wizard – I just got one and it is life changing!
- Bleu Cheese Crumbles are also optional, but I think it’s a great addition to a chopped salad. Trader Joe’s makes my favorite!
This recipe is a great for on-the-go, weeknight meal or a fun weekend meal option. I promise you after you try the grilled romaine hearts, your heart will be forever changed!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. It’s definitely one of those recipes worth saving. There’s nothing better than having what looks and tastes like a gourmet meal on the table, but one that saves you time behind the scenes.
Please leave us a star review and comment if you make this delicious grilled romaine Cobb salad recipe.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free leave them below. I answer every single question as quickly as I can.
Happy cooking! And thanks for being part of our tribe, The Tasteful Tribe!
Grilled Romaine Cobb Salad
- LCLow Carb
- SFSugar Free
- 3-4 romaine hearts
- 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces bacon , about 6-8 slices, chopped and browned
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped rotisserie chicken works well
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbled , or feta cheese
- dressing of choice
- Prep the romaine hearts: Pull off any old leaves. Chop off the top 1 or 2 inches of the lettuce head, and shave off the browned part of the root end (be sure to leave the root end intact so that the lettuce head stays together.)
- Sautee chopped bacon in a skillet until browned and crisp (about 5 minutes), then transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to cool. Cook hard-boiled eggs then peel and quarter.
- Prepare your grill: Turn your gas grill to high or get your charcoal coal grill very hot. If you are grilling the chicken, prepare and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle or brush over the romaine hearts to coat.
- Grill the romaine hearts until lightly browned on all sides, turning every minute or two until done.
- Arrange remaining salad ingredients (chicken, eggs, avocado, tomatoes, onion, blue cheese, and bacon) on the side or over the grilled romaine hearts.
- Top with your favorite salad dressing.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to tag thetastefultribe on instagram @thetastefultribe if you try this easy grilled romaine cobb salad recipe. We love seeing your version of the recipe! You can also post your pictures to our facebook page!