Ginger and lemon work seamlessly together in these easy lemon bars for a bright and fresh flavor. Made with honey for an extra moist and slightly tangy yet sweet, zestful melody in each bite. These are made with a simple honey shortbread crust that will have you reaching for more than just one!
There’s something about this time of the year that has me longing and pleading for sunshine. While I enjoy the beauty and comfort of the snow, I need the warmth and zest of sunshine in my life. These honey lemon and ginger bars give me that satisfaction and every single bite! If I can’t create the weather, I can surely bring a dish that fulfills my desire, right!?
Not only are these bars extremely delicious and satisfying by bringing in a twist of fresh ginger and honey, they are super simple to whip up! My little tribe loved these things and even enjoyed making them with me. I’m not a baker by nature (I’m a self proclaimed “wannabe baker”) so when it comes to bake goods, the recipe has to be simple and involve few steps which this recipe delivers on consistently.
I am a huge fan of the lemon and ginger combination. I tend to add this combo into a glass of water for an upset stomach or to give me a little boost throughout my day. Ginger is such an amazing natural immune-booster. Then combine it with lemon which in itself is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants. We are talking about a powerful and dynamic duo here!
Now, let’s talk about this little goodness in a jar: HONEY!!! For this recipe I used Aloha Honey Farm‘s Lemon Blossom Honey. You can use any kind of honey for this recipe. We are dedicated fans to this an amazing company that truly takes pride in their honey–and let me tell you, it shows! What once started from a man’s love for bees and the influence he had on his young grandson, all of their honey is packaged straight from the hive. There is no heating or filtering and no additive fillers such as corn syrup. Their unique varieties of honey are all naturally flavored by the bees themselves. Each flavor depends on the sunshine, humidity, rainfall each year which influences what plants were around for nectar. For this recipe, we will be focusing on their Lemon Blossom honey, but please look into their many unique and wonderful flavor option including our favorite: Hibiscus Honey.
You will notice that I tend to use and prefer honey over regular sugar in many of my recipes. Just a spoonful of honey contains a natural sweetener as well as a mix of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, iron, zinc and antioxidants. So in this recipe, we are really upping the antioxidant game! And that makes me feel good. Sure, I want everything that I put into my family’s mouth to be extra, extra delicious, but I also want to know that I am using high quality ingredients to give them an extra boost when and where I can! This honey lemon and ginger bar recipe is a win-win!
Ingredients for Honey Lemon and Ginger Bars
To make these easy yet delightful bars, you’ll need 4 few ingredients that you can find at the nearest grocery store or right here online.
Here’s what we are working with:
For the honey shortbread crust
For the honey lemon and ginger curd
- fresh lemon juice and zest
- freshly grated ginger (can substitute 1 tablespoon ginger paste).
- vanilla extract
How to make honey lemon and ginger bars
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a baking dish or line with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Using a standing mixer with a whisk attachment, cream the cream cheese, butter, honey, vanilla extract and salt until light and fluffy. Turn mixer to low and mix in the flour.
3. Press dough firmly onto the bottom of the baking dish, spreading evenly to all edges. Bake for 14 minutes.
4. While shortbread is cooking, whisk together 4 eggs, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest, grated ginger, vanilla extract and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
5. Once ingredients are mixed, whisk in flour, making sure to smooth out any lumps.
6. Pour mixture on top of the honey shortbread, then bake for an additional 20-24 minutes to set.
7. Cool bars for at least 2-3 hours in the fridge, then cut and top with powdered sugar if desired.
These Honey Lemon and Ginger Bars would be the perfect addition to any get-together or they work very well for a snack on-the-go. They are truly fabulous!!!
Honey Lemon and Ginger Bars
For The Honey Shortbread Crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a baking dish or line with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using a standing mixer with a whisk attachment, cream 5 ounces cream cheese, ½ cup butter, ½ cup honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and ½ teaspoon salt until light and fluffy. Turn mixer to low and mix in 1 ¼ cups flour.
- Press dough firmly onto the bottom of the baking dish, spreading evenly to all edges. Bake for 14 minutes.
- While shortbread is cooking, whisk together 4 eggs, ½ cup honey, lemon juice, lemon zest, grated ginger, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and ½ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Once ingredients are mixed, whisk in ½ cup flour, making sure to smooth out any lumps.
- Pour mixture on top of the honey shortbread, then bake for an additional 20-24 minutes to set.
- Cool bars for at least 2-3 hours in the fridge, then cut and top with powdered sugar if desired.
- 1 standing mixer
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to #thetastefultribe on instagram @thetastefultribe if you try this Honey Lemon and Ginger Bars recipe. We love seeing your version of the recipe! You can also post your pictures to our facebook page!